Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Purple Hearts Hospital Quilt...Assembly Beginning

I have accepted the job of assembling the crazy quilt using the Purple Hearts quilt blocks that members of my online group, the ArtBraLadies, have created for a cancer treatment center.
I will be using the principles and techniques that worked for me while assembling and finishing "Crazy for Flowers". This process is written up in an article for the latest issue of CQMagOnline which has just gone live....it's a great issue, so do check it out!
It was an absolute thrill to unpack the blocks, hold them in my hands, and just swoon over the design, workmanship, and love in each and every one of them. Photos don't do them justice....
but here are some anyways! They are all 8" square.

This is Leonie Hartley-Hoover's exquisite work. Sigh.....

Julie Edison's ravishing ribbon work is featured here.

Willa Fuller's work is always exuberant and original....

Here they all are, pinned up on the wall. My first job will be to decide on what color of sashing to use between the blocks...my initial thought was gold, for contrast. I'm going to be doing some auditioning this afternoon...!
I'll be blogging the whole endeavor, tutorial-style, so check back to see how this comes together.

9 comments :

His Office, My Studio said...

All the block are so pretty! I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Debra Dixon said...

Having been in your shoes a few times lately, this part of the process is both fun and frustrating. I hope for you that it is more fun than frustrating!

Beautiful blocks by such talented women!

Barbara C said...

So beautiful! Thanks for the eye candy!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Beyond beautiful - full of "soul". and you are holding them in your hands. What a wonderful task - will look forward to a morning update with coffee once again. Thanks!

Deb Hardman said...

Wow Allie. What a mixed blessing! They are beautiful, & I'm sure you'll do them justice.

I think I'd move Julie's block to the center, for balance. Black or dark purple would always be a safe choice for sashing. Have fun!

Candi said...

Wow what incredibly beautiful works of art!!
HUGZ:)
Candi

Leonie said...

Allie: Thank you for undertaking this monumental task. I can only imagine the joy you experienced opening the box of beautiful blocks. I've always admired your work and look forward to following the construction process and seeing the finished quilt, which I am sure will look awesome!

warmest wishes,
LĂ©onie

Karen 's World said...

Allie Thanks for blogging this process for us! The blocks are beautiful and it will be fun to see it all come together.

Peticelul Romanesc said...

I am so grateful you will blog the hole process, I think you have a gold mine in your hands. Corina