Friday, January 18, 2008

Cottage Portrait Frame

I had to do some auditioning of fabrics and playing around before I decided what I wanted for the frame. While this is a vintage-inspired portrait, with its oval shape and the cottage being so old (built in the 1890's)...I ended up using some contemporary hand-dyed silk fabrics for my frame, and the treatment I have in mind for the embellishment around the oval is definitely not traditional.

Ironing and pinning my fabrics into place is the easiest way to go here.

I did use a paper template as a guide so that I could get my oval somewhat uniform.

Essentially, this is an applique process, so using the right thread is important. I won this old silk thread collection in its funky Bakelite holder off of Ebay years ago....you can see I am using up that thread! It makes a nice invisible stitch, especially on the silk fabrics I am using.
As you can see, I haven't trimmed my border fabrics yet..I applique on the chunk, and then trim it. I piece the same way.

I run a line of stitching around the perimeter and then trim the fabric.

The values of the frame are pretty close to those in the picture. But after the embellishments go on, that will change!

9 comments :

Amy Munson said...

I like seeing how you audition fabrics and achieved a great flow in the crazy patch around the cabin.

Deb Hardman said...

It really is a wonderful gift.

Marty52 said...

You've got a beautiful flow going in the frame fabrics... lovely.

Debra Dixon said...

I love showing up over here to see your methods. They are so different from mine & yet we are both CQers. Isn't it fun to see the variety! Lovely silk pieces.

atet said...

They may be contemporary fabrics, but they really do frame the "traditional" picture so well. I love seeing the process behind your pieces.

Threadspider said...

Those are such beautiful silks, Allie, and they pick up the colours in the embroidery wonderfully well.Looking forward to the embellishment now.

Pamela Kellogg said...

Oh, how cool looking is that?!!! Looking forward to seeing your seam stitching. This is a beautiful cottage and an interesting technique. Certainly I've seen this done before but always in the completed stage. Aren't blogs wonderful?!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

I love how this is coming together. Such a thoughtful, loving present for your cousin. I hope she feels the love! Thanks for sharing your creative process with us, I DO feel the love!!

piney cq said...

I'm enjoying seeing this project move along! It's just wonderful! I'm just starting into playing with pics on fabric and LOVE how you have embellished! What a treasure this will be!