Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Embellisher Experiment #5, Denim Shirt

Wearable art is not my thing, and everyone who knows me knows that my idea of high fashion is a brand new white t-shirt from Lands End. Or green.
But who amongst us of a certain age didn't begin her embroidery career decorating denim shirts, or skirts? To me there is no more compelling "blank page", as far as clothing goes, than a denim Western shirt in a nice, washed blue.
I just happened to have one in my closet, so started thinking about how I could put my Embellisher to work on it. This is what I have so far.....

I couldn't just felt the Battenburg lace onto the denim. I needed to use a little "glue", in the form of wool roving. So I laid little wisps of it over the lace and felted away. This worked surprisingly well.

Next came the "appliqued" cotton print. This is some of the last of the indigo print from South Africa that I have been hoarding for about ten years.


Here you can see the roving being felted along the edge of the cotton.

The front so far.....

...and the back.
The roving gives a wispy look but I don't think that matters...it softens the lace.
This will be a nice background for some handwork, which will also help secure these felted elements more permanently. I have a long trip to and from having dinner with my father-in-law, sis-in-law, and niece this evening, so I hope to get some done then.

I might even wear this one day....

10 comments :

Grangry said...

Allie, you are certainly giving this machine a good workout, and coming up with some interesting ideas. I was intrigued with your 'embellisher patchwork' and I love this shirt!

Bethel of Bethania said...

I think you should wear it too Allie - it's looking grand. Love that indigo South Africian cotton too - amazing what one finds when one has a tidy-up ... ha ha Your work is breath-taking ... OOroo

Judy S. said...

What a fun way to embellish your denim shirt! I can't wait to see what you add next.

Anonymous said...

Come to Calgary, Alberta, the first 2 weeks of July and you'll fit right in! From the first Friday of July for 10 days, we're in the midst of the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth -- the Calgary Stampede. That wonderful shirt and a denim skirt or jeans, great boots, and you're set for Stampedin', gal! :-)

Marty52 said...

Love this, Allie! The addition of the roving really is special... it moves it beyond the norm. Of course, that's normal for you!! ;0)

verobirdie said...

Good way to use the embellisher. I like this shirt very much. If you don't wear it, I will.
Thanks for the comment on my door!

Kathy Raker said...

Allie, wow what a special touch the lace adds to your shirt. I would certainly be sure to wear it.
Now only if I had an embellisher and an embroidery machine.:))

Barbara said...

I love the shirt, Allie. Beautiful work!

Love,
Barbara

Rian said...

You just keep blowing me away. One of these days I'm going to have to come up there and watch you work. That shirt is awesome!

Barbara B. said...

Oh, Allie, it's so wonderful. What a fantastic work!