Saturday, April 19, 2008

Crazy Quilt Frame for Embroidered Home Portrait

This was almost sinfully easy.
When I read an account of Marsha Michler's "topstich method" of creating crazy quilt blocks, I knew this was the technique for me for this framing of my embroidered scene.
I love curves and usually piece them...but this time I needed total control of my lay-out, making sure my scene was oriented perfectly and that my block would turn out exactly the shape I need for this quilt. Plus, the pieces are smaller than I ususally work with.
So this is what I did:

I just took it slowly, ironing and pinning--fine silk pins a preference--measuring with the ruler, rearranging...the block will be on point.

Sewing it down with a straight stitch and clear thread was a breeze, I am not kidding you.

The dimensions of this quilt when finished will be 15" X 15". (Remember, this is an entry for the Alliance for American Quilts annual contest. It is also technically a donation quilt as all the contest entries will be auctioned off to benefit the Alliance.) This leaves me those nice four corner triangles to play with...I wonder what will go in there? Fans, just maybe? I have some ideas, but first I will have a go at all those seams in the frame...and that will give me something to do during this HEINOUS weather.

Would you look at that pathetic cherry tree, all in bloom and getting hailed on this morning? It's a giant standard cherry and feeds a ton of birds later in the spring...hang in there, cherry!

8 comments :

Threadspider said...

That's a new technique and how well it looks with the embroidered block. But oh, what dreadful weather! What is it with this Spring?

Kay said...

This is going together so fast! I like the different textures of the white fabrics; it'll be interesting to see what you do with them.

Cat said...

Your garden embroidery is out of this world, it looks really great.

The frame/border holds the garden out for the main focal - yet romantisizes it, nice! Looking forward to seeing the embroidery on the frame.

Auful hail! Our storm is suppose to arrive at 11am tomorrow - thanks for the prelude!

Vicki W said...

It may be bad weather but it's a darned cool photograph!

AmyS said...

I am in awe of the way you know just exactly how to enhance a piece! It looks like we are peeking out into the garden though the curtains inside the house. I'm sure your enhancements will just add to the beauty you've got going here. I can't wait to see more.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your weather. Would you please send us some of that lovely rain? ;o)

Maureen said...

Nothing left for me to say, as per usual it will be a beautiful finished piece. Looks like the spring weather is crazy both sides of the Atlantic! - maureen x

Greenmare said...

your block is gorgeous even if your weather isn't! Can't wait to see more! (of the block, not the weather)

Deb Hardman said...

So do we have to be there to bid on it?

I love it!

Wow the weather looks a bit wet! We have had sunshine all weekend here. The ground is pretty wet though, because last week's snow is melting.