Thursday, June 5, 2008

Spring CQ...Perennial Blue Flax

I LOVE this flower.
This picture is off of Google Images...my plant in the garden, alas, is shivering in the 50 degree rain, and is not ready to bloom yet.
But still, it was time to put the Blue Flax, (or Linum Perenne) on to my quilt.

Time to break out the angelina fibers...

I got mine from Embellishment Village. After arranging the fibers onto a surface they won't stick to--this is kitchen parchment paper--you place more parchment paper over it and give it a quick tap of heat from the iron. This fuses the fibers together. Too much heat and they lose their sparkle, though.

Here is my fused "sheet" of angelina.

Chad took this picture and we both think it is pretty funny.
I had no flowers to draw from, so I just hopped over to Google Images, found a picture of the Blue Flax that I liked, and traced right off my computer screen.
(Gardener's hands, I know.)

Before cutting out my shapes, I fused my angelina sheet to some lightweight blue silk habotai using Misty Fuse.


Fast forward here....aren't these fun?

Here is a larger view of them.
I'm not sure "who" will go on next. I have many seams to cover as I am making up my mind...I don't have this planned out beforehand!

*A quick heads up!* Debra Spincic has just finished and posted pictures of her wonderful masterpiece quilt "Tropical Tree of Life". Do go see it...you've never seen anything like it. Totally fantastic work, Debra!!!

12 comments :

Judy S. said...

Allie, I think your quilt will also be a masterpiece! My flax is also shivering....what IS with this weather anyhow? Everytime the flax blooms I try to imagine how anyone discovered the fibers in the stem to make linen. I'm still hoping you'll include some columbine! Your quilt is SO beautiful!

Barbara said...

I always enjoy logging on and seeing what you're up to. I love your flowers with the angelina fibers - beautiful work!

Thanks for posting the link to Debra's tropical quilt. It is beautifully done!

I wish it was 50 degrees in Texas instead of 92. It's hot!

Anonymous said...

ohhh my....

You DO have quite a talent for making little flowers!! The flax must be my fav. so far!!!

Sarah Ann Smith said...

I've never been tempted by crazy quilting.... until this one! Your quilt is absolutely stunning... can't wait to see it finished!

Cheers, Sarah

Debra Dixon said...

Gosh, gee! thanks for the publicity and praise. You are really inspiring me to cut into those ties & I have just bought some beautifully bright linens and silks to go with them.

Cute little flowers--I am fond of the little petalled ones too.

Barbara C said...

I like the results you get with this technique. I'm going to put this one in my idea file.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Allie you have your own bountiful garden beginning to bloom. Thankds for the link to Debra's tropical garden quilt - such a wealth of detail and techniques - simply beautiful.

Mary Corbet said...

Gorgeous, Allie! I love the flax! And the way you made them is fascinating. Wow - the embellishment looks great!

We've had our phlox (different flower, but I love it) already come and go - it was really full and spilly this year - and are already in the midst of pretty hot weather, so most of my favorite flowers are gone!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I wish we were shivering in Texas - another 100 degree day. This quilt is totally delicious! I received a package in the mail from River Silks yesterday - FULL of their gorgeous ribbon, so feel another binge of needlepoint CQ coming on. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful little flowers. Now I have an idea of how to use all of that Angelina I stocked up on at the quilt show. Your work is so inspiring. I always look forward to your new blog posts.

Thanks for the link to Debra's awesome quilt. Would love to study all the details of the quilt in person.

Threadspider said...

Heavenly blue, heavenly flower, heavenly stitching. Just great.

Anonymous said...

thanks for this technique. fabulous your flowers...