Thursday, August 26, 2010

"High Summer"...Flystitch Marathon

I decided to keep a tight rein on the seam embellishments for this piece, as I wrote in my last post.
I have always loved those old crazy quilts that use the same stitch on all of the seams...so I tried that here. Fly stitch and more fly stitch!
The colors were also kept under control...green for the outer border, blue for the inner one.

First a close up...

I varied the weights, fibers, and thicknesses of the threads so there was some choosing to do as I worked...but those parameters were pretty strict.

Overall, I hope this approach helps unify everything, and not detract too much from the central focus...

What's left to do is some couching of some cording between the borders and a smaller thread couched around the central image, between it and the lace. This after I block the piece and hopefully get it all straight and square.
Then on goes the binding and it is done!

18 comments :

Laurie said...

How pretty Allison, I would never have thought of just using fly stitching, but it turned out really pretty! Love the framing.

Judy S. said...

Nice! I'll bet you'll be really really good at fly stitch by the time you're done!

Lisa Boni said...

Looking gorgeous! Keeping the border seams simple really helps the center stand out!

Kerri said...

I love the way you piece. You have a great sense of design and I am always amazed by your work.

Rachel said...

It was a very good idea to restrict the seam treatments - it keeps the embellishment around the outside subtle and textural.

But I bet you've had enough of Fly Stitch for a while!

Dianne said...

This piece is jaw droppingly beautiful. I love how you have kept the surround subtle. Can't wait to see how you finish it off.

chiffonnette said...

C'est vraiment extraordinaire !!!
Très bonne idée
Bravo !

Debra Dixon said...

Good call on the embroidery and easy too!

Amy Munson said...

Only kind of flies that I like. ;) As always you inspire me to get to work on my projects. I may pull one out when I get home.

Kathy said...

It is a beautifully framed landscape! I love how you have framed it with the crazy patch.

Deb Hardman said...

It's a much prettier summer than the one we've had this year! Really lovely as always.

Barbara C said...

It's really lovely Allie. The you approached the embroidery with just the right touch.

FredaB said...

Hi Allie

I really like that using just the one stitch idea. You do see it so often and I wonder if they would have gotten bored when they have done it on a large bedsize cq.

It is really turning out great.

Hugs

FredaB

ps - Harv says hi!

Rian said...

Very ingenious to do only one stitch. It keeps your eye from getting so caught up in the details of the stitches so it can focus on the central theme. Just beautiful, Allie!

Kay said...

This looks almost spartan compared to some of your past work! I agree with Rian that the center stands out more this way. I also like the subtle light blue on white around the mat part.

Sandies' Patch said...

Allie, it is so beautiful!

Sandie xx

Unknown said...

The whole thing really looks integrated and plain lovely.

Anonymous said...

So pretty. Like a stitched Monet.