Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Down in Mexico....

We went from this...

to this.....

...in the blink of an eye.
Air travel is a beautiful thing.
We are down in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. We love this country very much.

We needed to get provisioned so our friend Leigh took us to the open air market in nearby Guaymas.

Leigh Hay-Martin is one of my Point Bonita sisters who also owns a condo in the same place and at the same time that we do! So we get to see each other here too...


Everything at the market is so fresh and enticing.

There are lots of things for sale besides food, too. It's kind of a flea market as well.
I am always on the look-out for bits to add to my crazy quilts and I found a few good ones.

Some special hand-knotted bracelets...one of which will go onto a new house portrait I am making for my friend Barbara (which I'll show in my next post).

My husband and Leigh checked out the table where I had just bought some little heart lockets. Robert speaks Spanish and he made lots of jokes with the vendors about me.

Everything is so colorful here. This was my favorite table of all of them....

Just so great. We loved the market.
Then Leigh took us to a little fish place off the beaten path for our lunch.

The ceviche was amazing.

When we got home, Robert modeled the new shades he bought at the market.

Fetching, absolutely.

And now it is time to get back to "work"....

The easy stitching in the afternoon is on the Go Crazy blocks...the more complicated design work is in the mornings....yes, I can make this work down here!
Adios for now.... ;-)

...and p.s. to all you crazy quilters...
CQMagOnline needs you to send in your photos for the Readers' Showcase a.s.a.p. Please do!!!
Send them to rissapeace@yahoo.com Thank you!

6 comments :

Jacqueline said...

Oh my goodness. I am absolutely GREEN. You are a very lucky lady. Have WAYY too much sunshine. It is good for the soul!

Debra Dixon said...

A trip like that would take anyone out of the January doldrums! Soak up the color and sunshine!

Kay said...

Oh, my! It looks so wonderful. I love markets, almost as much as the wonderful sunshine.

black bear cabin said...

i read your post wearing slippers, tucked under a blanket near the wood burning stove....jealous much!?! :)
looks lovely...enjoy!

Suzanne said...

I love open air markets like that...you can always find some little treasure. I'll be in Mexico too in about a week. Will have to find a few markets of my own.

shirley said...

To me at the moment the definition of bliss would be to roam the world visiting all the local markets spending time looking for wonderful finds. Love the colours and designs of mexico